[The existing syllabi for the subjects under Paper-I now (previously Paper -I and Paper –II)
have been clubbed together and constituted as a single syllabus]
ELECTRICAL & INSTRUMENTATION ENGINEERING
PAPER-I Code No: 042
1. FUNDAMENTALS OF ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING Dc And Ac Series And Parallel Circuits -
Kirchhoffs Law - Network Graph - Matrix Representation - Solution Of Steady State, equations -
transients in AC networks - Network theorems, super position, reciprocity, Thevenin and
Norton's theorems, Maximum power transfer therorem, star delta transformation - frequency
response of RL, RC, RIC series and parallel circuits - solutions of balanced and unbalanced 3
2. ELECTRICAL MACHINES Constructional features of DC Machines, emf equation and
characteristics of different types of DC generators - DC motor - torque equation - DC motor
characteristics - starters of DC motors speed control of DC motors - testing of DC motors -
alternators - different types - constructional features - emf equation - regulation of alternators by
different methods - phaseor diagram - expression for power developed as a funtion of torque
angle - synchronous motors - principle of operation - v and inverted v curves - starting methods
- stepper motors - principle of operation - polyphase induction motors - principle of operation
phasor diagram and equivalent circuit - starting and speed control - single phase ixluction motor
- principle of opetation and applications - transformers - principle of operation and construction
of types different of single phase and three phase transformers - regulation,efficiency and all
3. CONTROL SYSTEMS Open loop and closed loop systems - mathematical modelling of physical
systems - electrical, mechanical, electro mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic and thermal systems
- transfer function and state space modelling of these systems - block diagram representation
and signal flow graph - electrical analog - time response of simple system for implulse, step and
ramp type of inputs - solution of state equations - STM - time domain specifications - frequency
domain analysius - polar, inverse polar, bode - constant M and N circles and Nichols chart
frequency domain specifications - Routh-Hurwitz stability criterion - Nyquist stability criterion -
construction of root locus - determination of closed loop poles - transient response and stability
from root locus
4. GENERATION TRANSMISSION AND DISTRIBUTION Sources of energy - power plants -
hydroelectric - nuclear - thermal - layout - storage schemes - turbines - hydroelectric and steam
- interconnected systems - cost evaluation - nuclear reactors - fuel materials - coolant -
comparison and detection of different types of power plants - transmission lines - performance -
short and medium - corona - insulators - transmission towers - underground cables -
distrubution - feeders - distributors and service main - comparison of distribution system - radial
and ring distributors - calculation of voltages and distributors with concentrated and distributed
5. PROTECTION AND SWITCH GEARS Circuit breakers - Arc in oil - Arc interruption - theories -
current chopping - oil circuit breakers - air blast circuit breakers - vacum circuit breakers -
sulphur hexaflouride - circuit breakers - testing of circuit breakers - protective relays - functional
charactoristics of protective relays - operating principles of relays - overcurrent relays -
directional over current relays - the universal relay - torque equation - differntial relays - feeder
protection - distance protection - generator protection - protection of transformers - carrier
current protection - comparators - static relays - fuses and H.R.C.fuses for relays (the emphasis
must be on solid state devices).
6. BASIC ELECTRONICS Semi conductor diodes - zener diodes - transistors - FET's power
diodes - thyristors - photocell - photodiodes - power diodes - photo transistors,L.D.R.and
applications - rectifiers and voltage regulators - amplifiers - classification of amplifiers - power
amplifiers - wide b and amplifiers - oscillators - operational amplifiers - application of operational
amplifiers - Indusstrial timers - voltage regulators - Instruementation amplifiers - A to D and D to
A converteros - PLL - active filters.
7. DIGITAL TECHNIQUES Number systems used in Digital electronics -weighted binary codes -
non weighted codes - crror detection and correction,alpha numeric codes,BCD- development of
Boolean algebra - truth fuctions - reading boolean expression - Boolean expansions and logic
diagrams - Minterms - tables and maps - solving digital probleme - Map reduction techniques -
sum of products from hybrid function - multiple out put minimizations - tabular minimisations -
sequential logic - flip/flops - digtal counter - ripple counter - logi c gates - mutliplexers,
demultiplexers and decoders , code converters - arithmetic funcrioons - shift registers - semi
conductormemory elements - PLA.
8. NETWORK ANALYSIS One port and two port networks - driving point impedance and
admittance of one port network - open circuit impedance and short circuit admittance of two port
network - transfer impedance and admittance - A,B,C,D parameters - impedence matching -
filters - character istic of ideal filters - low pase and High pass filters - attenuation and phase
shift - bandpass filter - elements of network synthesis - realiability of one port, hurwitz
polynomical positive real function - necessary and sufficient conditions for positive real function -
testing a positive real function proporties - synthesis of RL RC and LC driving point impedances.
9. ELECTRICAL MEASUREMENTS Measurement of voltage and current - permanent magnet
moving coil and moving ion meters - dynamometer type - thermocouple and rectifier typ;e
instrument of power and energy - dynamometer type wattmeter and induction type energy meter
- single phase and three phase - testing and calibration of energy meter - power factor meter -
magnetic measurement - ballistic galvanometer and fluxmeter - BH curve - permeability
measurement - current and voltage transformers - use of instrument transformers with
wattmeters - KVA and KVAR metrts - maximum demand indicators - Megger.
10. ELECTRONIC MEASUREMENTS BJT, FET and MOSFET voltmerters - solid state multimeter -
DMM - audio and Radio frequency signal generators - AM signal generator - function generator
- wave anlyzer - spectrum analyser - frequency measurement - measurement of period and time
- phase angle measurement - bridge type of measurements - recording instruments - display
instruments - general purpose oscilloscope - multitrace display - digital storage - sampling
oscilloscope - sychroscope.
1. MEASUREMENT SCIENCE Static characteristics of measuring instruments - accuracy,
precision snesitivity,non-linerarity, hysteresis - dynamic characteristics - I order and II order
instruments - Standards andcalibration - errors and error analysis.
2. TRANSDUCERS Variable resistance transducers - potentiometer, strain gauge RTD,
thermistor, hygrometer - Variable inductance transducers - LVDT - variablpe relectance
accelerometer - variable capacitance tranaducers for differential pressure, sound and thickness
measurement - piezoelectric transducer - smart tranaducors.
3. MECHANICAL MEASUREMENTS Characteristics of instruments for measurement of
displacement, velocity, acceleration, force, torque and vibration.
4. INDUSTRIAL INSTRUMENTS Temperature measurement - thermocouples, cold-junction
compensation for thermocouple, radiation and optical pyrometers - pressure measurements -
bourdon gauge, bellows, diaphragme, differential pressure transmitter, vacum gauges, melead
gauge, prani gauge - flow measurement - office meter, venturimeter, electro magnetic flow
meter, ultrasonic flow meter, rotameter positive displacement meters, mass flow meters.
5. ANALYTICAL INSTRUMENTS Measurement of PH,viscosity and density - Gas chromatography
- UV and IR spectrophotometers, single beam and dual beam spectrophotometers.
6. PROCESS CONTROL Basic control actions - on - off, P, I , D, P + I , P + D and p + I + D control
actions - electronic and pneumatic controllers - feed forward control, ratio control and cascade
control - control valves - computer control of process - z transforms.
7. BIO MEDICAL INSTRUMENTS Measurement of biological signals - ECG,EEG, EMG - blood
pressure and blood flow measurements - defibrillators - pace maker.
8. TELEMETRY Wired telemetry - Radio telemetry - analog modulation - time division multiplexing
and frequency division multiplexing - PAM and FM transmitters - digital modalation - PCM
transmitters - Demultiplexing - receivers - fibre optic transmitters and receivers.
9. MICRO PROCESSORS AND MICRO CONTROLLERS 8 bit microprocessors - 8085 and z80 -
Architecture, programming and interface devices - 16 bit microprocessor 8088 - Micro
controllers, 8031 and 8051 Microprocessor based instruments.
10. LOGIC AND DISTRIBUTED CONTROL Direct digital control - supervisory control - SCADA -
programmable logic control - I/o module, PLC programming, ladder diagram - distributed control
system - configuration, operator station, displays, communication in DCS ,protocols, field bus.
Paper 2 - TNPSC Combined Engineering Services Exam General Studies Syllabus