'Lok' in Hindi means 'People' and 'Adalat' means 'Court'. So, the Word Lok Adalat simply means People's Court.
Lok adalat is a forum where the cases pending in the courts or even in the prelitigation stage are settled in a friendly way.Important Facts to remember.
- First Lok adalat camp was organised in Gujarat on March 14,1982 .
- Lok adalat was given statutory satus through the Legal Services Authorities Act, 1987. Through this act the Lok adalat was introduced in India in 1987.
- The First National Lok adalat was organized on November 23, 2013 in which 71.5 Lakhs of cases has been disposed off successfully.
- The Second National Lok adalat was organised on Dec 6, 2014 in which 1.25 Crore cases has been disposed off.
- The Third National Lok adalat was organised on Feb 14, 2016 in which 56000 cases has been disposed off.
- The award given by the Lok adalat is final and cannot be appealed in any other court.
- Advantages of Lok Adalat
- Speedy Justice.
- No court Fee.
- Reduces Pending cases.