Lokpal is an anti-corruption authority that would deal with the complaints against the public officials in central government including the Prime Minister.Lokayuktas
Lokayuktas is an anti-corruption authority that would deal with the complaints against the public officials in state government.Ombudsman
Important Facts to remember
- Ombudsman is a swedish term which means - a person who is authorised to act for someone else.
- In general it means, an official appointed to investigate complaints especially against the public officials.
- In India Ombudsman is referred as either Lokpal or Lokayukas.
- The First country in the world to set up ombudsman institution is Sweden in 1809.
- The First Commonwealth country in the world to set up ombudsman institution is New Zealand in 1967.
- The Term Lokpal was coined by L M Singvi in 1963.
- The Word 'Lok' means - People and 'Pala' means - protector.
- The Administrative reforms commission (1966-70) headed by Morarji Desai recommended the institution of Lokpal and Lokayuktas.
- Lokpal Bill was first introduced in Parliament in 1968 but cannot be passed.
- Important Dates for Lokpal and Lokayuktas Act 2013
- Passed in Parliament - Dec 18, 2013
- President's Assent - Jan 1, 2014
- Date of commencement - Jan 16, 2014.