Fundamental duties are certain duties given in the Constitution of India, which aims to act as a reminder to the citizens that while enjoying the Fundamental rights they should also have certain duties to perform.
List of Fundamental Duties
Article 51A. It shall be the duty of every citizen of India—
(a) to abide by the Constitution and respect its ideals and institutions, the National Flag and the National Anthem;
(b) to cherish and follow the noble ideals which inspired our national struggle for freedom;
(c) to uphold and protect the sovereignty, unity and integrity of India;
(d) to defend the country and render national service when called upon to do so;
(e) to promote harmony and the spirit of common brotherhood amongst all the people of India transcending religious, linguistic and regional or sectional diversities; to renounce practices derogatory to the dignity of women;
(f) to value and preserve the rich heritage of our composite culture;
(g) to protect and improve the natural environment including forests, lakes, rivers and wild life, and to have compassion for living creatures;
(h) to develop the scientific temper, humanism and the spirit of inquiry and reform;
(i) to safeguard public property and to abjure violence;
(j) to strive towards excellence in all spheres of individual and collective activity so that the nation constantly rises to higher levels of endeavour and achievement;
*[(k) who is a parent or guardian to provide opportunities for education to his child or, as the case may be, ward between the age of six and fourteen years.]Courtesy: http://indiacode.nic.in/coiweb/welcome.html
Important Facts to Remember
- The original constitution of India as adopted on November 26, 1949 did not have the fundamental Duties part.
- In 1976, By the 42nd Constitutional Amendment act 1976, 10 fundamental duties were added in the Constitution.
- It is included in the Part IV - A.
- In 2002, one more Fundamental duty was added [*Article 51A (k)] by the 86th Constitutional Amendment act 2002. So number of FD is 11 now.
- Committees related with Fundamental Duties
- Swaran Singh committee (1976)
- Recommended the Fundamental duties to be added in the constitution in 1976
- Set up in 1999, to identify the other provisions in constitution for implementation of the fundamental duties.